Preparing for Baptism
(Reminder: Candidates for Baptism are required to attend a Baptism Orientation Class prior to being Baptized)
Baptism Certificate Form
At this class you will receive a form, “Information for Baptism Certificate.” A separate form is required for each person being baptized. Bring the completed information form on the day of baptism. Please make sure that the information on the form is written, as you want it to appear on the certificate. The Certificate of Baptism will be sent to you by mail.
- Candidates for baptism as well as their families and friends should be in the sanctuary by 11:45 a.m. The Baptism service will take place towards the end of the 12:00 noon service; after the sermon (please be sure to be on time).
- Your certificate form will be collected in the sanctuary by a steward, stewardess or minister. Please do not leave your certificate form with anyone outside of the sanctuary.
- Candidates who are being immersed will change into a robe provided by the stewardess upon arrival at the Church (a stewardess will be available to provide instructions on were to change clothes). It is recommended that you keep your underwear on under the robe. Please bring a change of under clothes. Towels and shower caps will be provided.
Picture Taking During Baptism
Baptism is a sacrament of the African Methodist Episcopal Church and it is also a joyous family occasion. While Reid Temple recognizes that photographs are an important part of this occasion, we remind you that the Baptism service is also a worship service and must be given reverence. Please be mindful of the following:
- Limited picture taking will be allowed during the service; however, you cannot take pictures from the baptism pool area, choir loft or pulpit area.
- You can use the side aisles.
- Pictures can be taken before and after the service in any area except those mentioned above.
- Tripods cannot be set up in the aisles.
- We ask that your picture taking would be discreet and would not disruptive to the service in any way.
- If possible, designate one photographer per family.
Contact Rev. Hilda L. Hudson at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions